Monday, October 24, 2011

Applying Networks To My Business

There are many aspects to networks that would be beneficial to running  a technology based business. Aside from just understanding the mere facts of networks such as what packets are and how they are sent, or what a protocol does, there are other aspects that can really be applied. One basic aspect would be in understanding how IP addresses and domain names work. This would be important when considerign whether I want to create my own site to advertise or promote my service aside from the actual existing Laundry View website.

If deciding to do this I need to understand that I will be given an IP address but will need to choose and pay for domain name that will be more easily recognized or coherent to customers. I will have to decide what domain name I would like and I will have to decide what top level domain I will want (.com or .net). If someone owns the domain name that I want, I will either need to choose a different one or pay the current owner of that domain. One exception is if someone is using the domain name in bad faith and just trying to capitalize off of the name or hinder the company. Then I can have a panelist look at the case and have the name revoked from them.

Another thing that would be beneficial to understand is the difference between different email protocols. Two email protocols that I may consider are POP and IMAP; POP is the Post Office Protocol, while IMAP is Internet Message Access Protocol. The major difference when looking at these two protocols is that with POP, emails can only be download to one machine. For example, if I download an email on my laptop it will not show up on my desktop. However, with IMAP the emails will show up on all machines. After understanding this difference, I believe I would like to use the IMAP protocol because it would be more convenient when trying to access business emails on different computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment